MAMyths adopts this code of conduct not only for the safety and fun for people participating in our activities but to inoculate our space from interlopers who may seek to undermine our efforts. Due to the nature of our volunteer-based organization we leave ourselves open to saboteurs. We should strive for transparency and virtue to maintain a strong organization to fight pseudoscience injustice.
This code of conduct applies to all MAMyths spaces, including online social media spaces and events of action. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the MAMyths executive directors.
Some MAMyths spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
Questionable behavior includes:
- Encouragement of illegal activities.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they’re not appropriate.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Incitement of vandalism or property damage.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Any messaging that is anti-GMO, pro-industry, or any form of pseudoscience or science denial.
If you are being harassed by a member of MAMyths, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the MAMyths executive directors at email@example.com. If the person who is harassing you is on the team, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident. We will respond as promptly as we can.
In order to protect volunteers from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of MAMyths members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, MAMyths may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all MAMyths spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other MAMyths members or the general public.
*This Code of Conduct was originally sourced and inspired by Geek Feminism Wiki